Pages

Thursday 5 September 2013

Girl Power

DIY Bathroom shelving


Now when you decide to decorate or change something around the house what happens... well, usually your guy or brother or even father sticks their nose in and you end up with something vaguely resembling what you had visualised in the first place, that's if your lucky lol... well not in this house I decided to add some storage in the bathroom but is was too small for cupboards or units so I decided on shelves.

I wanted something different rather than shelves all lined up like a cupboard or steps up to heaven so:-


I purchased four small shelves and one larger shelf from Wilkinson's  I then paired the smaller shelves and lined up the insides of both pairs.


Check for pipes

Okay then I wanted shelves above the bath so I had to check for pipes. Firstly I had to figure out how to remove the side panel of the bath, then I had to check their were no pipe works in the wall I planned to use (there were none thank goodness).


Measure Distance and spacing

I measured the length of the wall from the top of the tiles above the top of the bath to the ceiling then the width of the wall from the corner to the edge of the bath then I positioned them so the outside edges were even.


Prepare the shelves

After purchasing my new shelving I decided to varnish them.


They were fine as they were but I varnished them to protect the wood from any spillages.

Drill holes and fit in wall plugs

I had bought floating shelves so they came with two fittings each and when my daughter had all the wholes drilled and plugs put in, (you didn't expect me to climb up onto the bath did you??) I felt they wouldn't be strong enough for bubble baths, shampoo's etc as the weight of toiletries can build up quite quickly. So off I went and bought brackets for them all. But...

this meant my daughter had to drill some more holes.


Finishing touches

Once the shelves were in place I added all the toiletries it was nice to have a clear space at the top of the bath again.


I chose apple green as my main colour then I bought an apple sculpture for the top of the bath and also a green candle next to that I put the soap dish.


For the top shelf I added a clear vase with artificial flowers; a bouquet that my daughter acquired when she was a bridesmaid for one of her friends that she wanted to keep.


For the larger shelf under the mirror I bought matching hand wash and moisturiser containers as well as a toothbrush cup and soap dish also from Wilkinson's.


To complete the look I bought bamboo coasters and labelled each so you know which is hand wash and which is moisturiser and viola 


Loads of space for everything a girl can desire ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment